Harry Potter News
Serpentine Offline

RE: Harry Potter News
"Reading Harry Potter actually makes you a better person"

http://huffp.st/E0amWDE

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.
Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."
(Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire')

[Image: blazon-color-cpcc2-av.gif]
I trust Severus Snape
06-11-2017 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Serpentine Offline

"Trump Blocked Stephen King On Twitter, So J.K. Rowling Stepped In To Save The Day" (13/06/2017)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trum...3f2c6e2458

"J.K. Rowling’s Twitter War With Trump Supporters Is Magical" (31/01/2017)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jk-r...2c7d3d1156

Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."

I trust Severus Snape
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2017 05:34 PM by Serpentine.)
06-14-2017 05:22 PM
Serpentine Offline

"How Hermione Granger Went From Literary Witch To Powerful Feminist Symbol"

http://huffp.st/mHnNs7l

I trust Severus Snape
06-16-2017 10:20 PM
The Hare and the Otter Offline

I just stumbled across an interesting bustle article - On Newt Scamander, Toxic Masculinity, and The Power of Hufflepuff Heros:

Quote:In an ordinary narrative (traditional Harry Potter narratives included) the idea of a Male Hero manifests very differently. See, if Newt were the hero we were used to, he would still defend those creatures, but out of some profound, Gryffindor-like sense of indignation and rage, which he'd use to justify whatever extreme means he'd employ to protect them. If he were the hero we were used to, he would have lashed out at Queenie, and we would have accepted it. Men's pain is traditionally considered weakness, and her exposure of his would open up a plot point for him to expose his manly fury. And the "manlier" thing to do when Newt's beasts were compromised was, no doubt, to hurt anyone and everyone he could.

And you know why the fandom wouldn't have blinked? Because we already had a hero who was subject to the harmful standards of toxic masculinity, and his name was Harry James Potter. He balked at the idea of women crying. He funneled his emotions by essentially speaking in capslock for the majority of his fifth year at Hogwarts. He was frequently the last to clue in on the poignance of an emotional situation, and one of his biggest, very Slytherin-esque fears was that he might be too weak to save the people he loves. We know how harmful this was to Harry in particular because we took that journey with him, and watched how those standards derailed him. We also know how harmful these standards are to men and women at large, because of all the research that has gone into proving the negative emotional consequences of toxic masculinity.

[cut]

Topping this all off is Redmayne's recent PSA for Hufflepuffs, a (hilarious) plea to see the house in a different light, as well as recent claims by J.K. Rowling in 2015 that we were beginning an Age of Hufflepuffs. But this is so much larger than getting justice for the fictional organization that is the Hufflepuff House. The idea of bringing the traits that represent Hufflepuffs to the forefront is speaking to a pervasive culture that has for so long favored dynamics whereby the strongest are the most celebrated, even when that strength comes from toxic places — which is ultimately harmful to both men and women. By putting a Hufflepuff hero in the spotlight and demonstrating the power of kindness, loyalty, and compassion, the arc of Newt Scamander challenges all of those ingrained notions, giving both male and female heroes room to breathe. The further we let ourselves stray from the brooding, toxic heroes, the more space there is to also have emotionally charged female heroes whose sensitivity isn't a "weakness."

This is the only article that I have found - much less a mainstream article - that talks about Gryffindor's toxic masculinity. I don't agree that Hufflepuff is the only opposite or that Harry's fear is "Slytherin-esque".

However, a serious case can (and should) be made about Gryffindor culture.

terri_testing wrote a wonderful piece, Programming Harry for Violence:

Quote:Potter, pre-Hogwarts, was a semi-pacifist. He apparently responded to Dudley’s bullying and the Dursley’s encouragement of that as “manly” by developing an aversion to being at all like that himself. He was perfectly willing to hit back when he was actually in a fight, but he refused to initiate violence. Instead, he enjoyed using his superior brainpower and speed to provoke Dudley verbally and then run away from retribution. You know, like Draco did—taunting Gryffindors, and being all taken aback when they responded to his words with physical violence or hexing.

Harry, pre-Hogwarts, really, really didn’t want to be like Dudley, hurting people for the fun of it. His sole (understandably so) standard of human decency was “not like Dudders.”

No wonder Harry responded so extremely to Draco: tripping Harry’s Dudley-triggers (spoiled only child of well-off parents, blandly expecting the universe to fall into his lap, and being casually cruel to those he felt beneath him), but USING HARRY”S OWN WEAPONS to do so—wit and speed, not crude force.

Draco presented an utterly monstrous image to Harry, combining the worst of Dudley’s privileged self-absorption with an unwelcome reflection of Harry’s the-underdog-is-justified-in-doing-anything practical ethics..

[cut]

Now, look at what Harry DID do magically, pre-Hogwarts: shrank a sweater he didn’t want to wear (not sting Aunt Petunia when she tried to force it on him). Consistently regrew his hair magically, in defiance of Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia. (Annoying them immensely, but certainly not hurting them—but note, please, that he was not doing it to save himself humiliation. It was only the one time, when Petunia went nuts with the scissors trying to control that uncontrollable hair, that the result of the magical regrowth looked better than the haircut itself. Most of the time, Harry told us, the result of Harry’s magical intervention was that Harry came “back from the barbers looking as though he hadn’t been at all.” Classic passive-aggressive provocation, in dealing with neat freaks like Petunia and Vernon!. I’d have done it myself to my mom, had I had Harry’s magical ability! As it was, I had to content myself with consistently “forgetting” the dance lessons she wanted me to take, to teach me grace. And her instructions on on how to wear the clothes she picked for me. Not nearly so effective as growing my hair to be deliberately messy all the time!) Levitated away when Dudley’s gang was chasing him. But nothing that could harm others at all, not even in self-defense.

Even when Harry was attacked by a mere dog whose tail he’d stepped on, his response was to climb a tree away from it, not to try to frighten the dog off by hurting it.

But then Harry got Sorted into Gryffindor, and was relentlessly exposed to Gryff programming that the Dursleys’ standards of manliness had been right, that using violence against others was courageous and praiseworthy. (NEVER—INSULT—ALBUS—DUMBLEDORE IN FRONT OF ME! You’ve got to stand up for yourself, Neville! Fifty points to Gryffindor for killing Quirrell, Harry! That’s the spirit, Ron, trying to hex Draco for a verbal insult, and you too, Fred and George, trying to jump a little boy! Only a true Gryffindor would have pulled a sword out of a hat and killed a Basilisk, rather than, say, using his snake-talking abilities to try if, like the black snake, it could be persuaded not to attack humans….)

And after two years of relentless programming, we finally see Harry let loose his magic to attack Aunt Marge when she insulted (yet again, yawn—how often has he listened to this dreck in the last decade?) his dead parents.

There was another essay (it's been deleted, I'll have to check later when I get home to see if I saved it) about the Gryffindor/Christian vs Slytherin/Pagan symbolism.

I think this Gryffindor cultural mentality explains a lot about why the characters act the ways they do. Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, the Twins, The Marauders... we see all of them exhibit traits of toxic masculinity at various points.
06-19-2017 06:40 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

(06-14-2017 05:22 PM)Serpentine Wrote:  "Trump Blocked Stephen King On Twitter, So J.K. Rowling Stepped In To Save The Day" (13/06/2017)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trum...3f2c6e2458

"J.K. Rowling’s Twitter War With Trump Supporters Is Magical" (31/01/2017)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jk-r...2c7d3d1156

One of the best things on Twitter these days. I'll say it again: it's very unwise to get into a verbal match with the woman who wrote Severus Snape. She isn't taking prisoners.

"All of time and space... where do you want to go?" - The Doctor [Image: tardis.gif]

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
06-20-2017 01:49 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

I have loved every minute of the gang-up on Trump by Rowling and King! He will never be able to out-wit or out-snark them! Smile

The New Improved Harry Potter Lexicon
Facebook / Twitter

[Image: Snape%20-%20Doe.png]
Required Reading: What is a Forum Moderator?
"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
~ Bob Ferguson, Washington State AG
06-20-2017 05:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Well, to do so, he would require.....wit.

What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
--T. S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

[Image: sittingcat_zpsn1blmxfj.png]

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
06-21-2017 01:39 AM
The Hare and the Otter Offline

(06-21-2017 01:39 AM)subtle science Wrote:  Well, to do so, he would require.....wit.

First, though, he would have to acquire a brain. Wit requires one. Angel
06-21-2017 04:10 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

But he knows words, all the best words! I can tell you - lots of words! Tongue

Only they are on about the 3rd-grade level. Rolleyes

The New Improved Harry Potter Lexicon
Facebook / Twitter

[Image: Snape%20-%20Doe.png]
Required Reading: What is a Forum Moderator?
"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
~ Bob Ferguson, Washington State AG
06-21-2017 04:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply