Snape's Harbor Beach Party Welcome & Chat
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

RE: Snape's Harbor Beach Party Welcome & Chat
More rum cake, please! Tongue

I've actually been rolling chocolate rum balls for a week. I gave away most of my first batch, and had to make more. Rolleyes

I brought home the following from my brother-in-law's party last night: pizza with everything, bar-b-que wieners, snowflake crackers, a cheese ball with olives and dried tomatoes, chocolate oatmeal cookies, and potato chips with onion dip.

And I had eggnog for breakfast, LOL. Smile

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! And now Happy Boxing Day, otherwise known as Silver Doe Day. Smile

12-26-2017 07:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

The caramel topping for the cheesecake was made with boiled cider....which is....A Thing. Literally: boil cider. Take a half gallon down to 1-2 cups, and you have boiled cider: apple on steroids! Tongue

Rum.....It took me a long time to learn how well it pairs with baked goods, and especially BUTTER.

What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
--T. S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
12-27-2017 12:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(12-27-2017 12:32 AM)subtle science Wrote:  The caramel topping for the cheesecake was made with boiled cider....which is....A Thing. Literally: boil cider. Take a half gallon down to 1-2 cups, and you have boiled cider: apple on steroids! Tongue

Rum.....It took me a long time to learn how well it pairs with baked goods, and especially BUTTER.

OMG - this makes me drool! Tongue Sounds delicious!

12-28-2017 05:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Titania Offline

Today Serpentine and I went to the HP/Hogwarts exhibition at the British Library. We were lucky to get tickets as we did not get any yesterday afternoon. In case any of you comes to London, go there but go first thing in the morning. It is divided up into various sections: First Potions (very good), then Alchemy (very good), then Herbology (good, but not my particular interest), then Charms (all right, but nothing grand), then Astronomy (nothing special), the Divination (good), Defence Against the Dark Arts (a bit too much about werewolves), then Care of Magical Creatures (good) and then an outlook on Past, present and Future which was basically a model of the play, HP books in various languages and they kept repeating a video of one of the spectacular book releases.

All in all it was worth a visit but it was not possible to take any photos. Serpentine and I bought some stuff, such as a shirt with a Phoenix (stylish) and a DVD about the HP series.

And coming out of the building I got to hrlp an American tourist as he missed a step and bruised his knee.

Regards from Serpentine!
12-31-2017 12:44 AM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

What a cool museum visit!

Happy New Year to one and all!

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
01-01-2018 01:54 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Titania: I'm jealous of the museum visit! I'm sure you and Serpentine had great fun! Smile

Happy New Year! I managed to stay up till midnight on New Year's Eve, and we ate the traditional Southern baked ham and black-eyed peas for New Year's dinner. We are having an arctic freeze here in the U.S. so my family has mostly been reading, watching TV, and eating one feast after another along with our Christmas candy and then falling asleep, LOL. I'm ready for a long winter's nap right now after my husband made turkey and dressing today. Sleepy Hibernation seems like a good option. Smile

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2018 01:49 AM by Silver Ink Pot.)
01-03-2018 01:48 AM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

I didn't manage to stay awake--and even the fireworks blasting didn't wake me until after midnight! Tongue

The cold blast has even reached down here. I think hibernation is an excellent solution.

01-03-2018 11:56 AM
Serpentine Offline

Happy New Year to all at HPN! Smile

Happy birthday, Ianus Incantatus! Smile

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.
Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."
(Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire')

[Image: blazon-color-cpcc2-av.gif]
I trust Severus Snape
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2018 02:03 PM by Serpentine.)
01-05-2018 12:19 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

Happy New Year, Serpentine!

A very Happy Birthday to Ianus Incantatus and a belated one to ME, because I think I might have missed hers, too.

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
01-05-2018 05:56 PM
Serpentine Offline

Happy birthday to my “twin” Nyctalus! Big Grin

Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."

I trust Severus Snape
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 12:06 AM by Serpentine.)
Yesterday 12:05 AM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

A Very Very Happy Birthday X2 to the Birthday Twins, Serpentine and Nyctalus!

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
Yesterday 07:07 PM
Titania Offline

Happy birthday, Serpentine!

And I have just found this: Pictures of the HP actors as they look now

http://honesttopaws.com/harry-potter-sta...+They+Look
Yesterday 10:46 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

HAPPY BIRTHDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say--chocolate for everyone!

Big Grin

Today 12:15 AM
Serpentine Offline

Many thanks - and yes, definitely chocolate for all! Big Grin

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...mp;amp;f=1]

I trust Severus Snape
(This post was last modified: Today 05:41 PM by Serpentine.)
Today 05:38 PM