Snape's Harbor Beach Party Welcome & Chat
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

RE: Snape's Harbor Beach Party Welcome & Chat
Happy Independence Day!

No exciting plans here--I've got wine; I've got ground beef....and brewing thunderheads, so I sincerely doubt grilled burgers outdoors are in my future Big Grin I am hoping my neighbors have their supply of (illegal*) fireworks that I can enjoy later!

*Illegal? Oh, no--surely not! I firmly believe that my neighbors are miners working in the agricultural industry**

**In Florida, those are the two fields that are permitted to buy roadside fireworks....Or grocery store fireworks. There are, in fact, tents all over town, in parking lots everywhere; if that's not convenient enough, you can pick up variety packs in the produce aisle (the location entertains me, point of fact). You can buy the fireworks, if you mine or farm; I think the technical part of the law is that you cannot legally set them off...........

In the spirit of our forefathers and mothers: we celebrate the colonies' independence by choosing to break the law, too. Tongue

Oh--and then there's this (link, please work!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1PMt8bnz34

What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
--T. S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2017 07:29 PM by subtle science.)
07-04-2017 07:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Happy Fourth of July!!!

[Image: fireworks2-charliemc.gif][Image: flag-charliemc.gif][Image: Flags04-nettlebrew.jpg]

I cooked bbq pork chops with an old recipe of my mother's that uses vinegar and Heinz 57 sauce - so good! And on the side we had fresh green beans cooked with potatoes and fried corn. For dessert - pina colada cake! Although I'm too stuffed right now to even think about cake. Smile

The New Improved Harry Potter Lexicon
Facebook / Twitter

[Image: Snape%20-%20Doe.png]
Required Reading: What is a Forum Moderator?
"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
~ Bob Ferguson, Washington State AG
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2017 08:38 PM by Silver Ink Pot.)
07-04-2017 08:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Well, you could share the pork chop recipe........Just sayin'...................... Big Grin

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
07-04-2017 08:57 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SILVER INK POT!

I would very much have liked to post a photo of a birthday cake, but Photobucket is now not allowing pictures hosted on their website to be posted elsewhere without paying a $400 extortion fee. Hope to find a photo hosting alternative soon.

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2017 08:13 PM by Olwen.)
07-21-2017 08:08 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(07-21-2017 08:08 PM)Olwen Wrote:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SILVER INK POT!

Thank you! Smile

Quote:I would very much have liked to post a photo of a birthday cake, but Photobucket is now not allowing pictures hosted on their website to be posted elsewhere without paying a $400 extortion fee. Hope to find a photo hosting alternative soon.

OMG - is that true? Almost all my blog pics are hosted on there, and I already pay for extra storage. What's the point of Photobucket if you can't post them anywhere??? Angry

Edit: Just downloaded as many family pics as I could find on Photobucket. I'm able to see them, maybe because I stay logged in? I have no idea what is going to happen to my Blogger blogs or Livejournals - this sucks! I didn't use the official Photobucket downloader because I was afraid they would suddenly block me. I just right-clicked and saved to my computer.

Another Edit: Aha - if you already pay for extra storage, you have till the end of the year to save the pictures. http://www.technewsworld.com/story/84688.html?rss=1

I had to read three articles to figure this out. That still doesn't help because all the links will break unless we pay the extortion money. Headache! Sad

Facebook / Twitter

"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2017 11:54 AM by Silver Ink Pot.)
07-22-2017 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

I'm going to transfer my photos to Imgur. This really aggravates me. I understand they can't continue handing out bandwidth for free, but there is no way I'm spending $400 to host photos when most places I frequent now allow uploading from my computer. I have an external hard drive plus a thumb drive to preserve my photos. Photobucket just jumped the shark.

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
07-22-2017 08:22 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(07-22-2017 08:22 PM)Olwen Wrote:  I'm going to transfer my photos to Imgur. This really aggravates me. I understand they can't continue handing out bandwidth for free, but there is no way I'm spending $400 to host photos when most places I frequent now allow uploading from my computer. I have an external hard drive plus a thumb drive to preserve my photos. Photobucket just jumped the shark.

I'm not paying $400 either! Sad Either they lower the price or I'm out of there!

Facebook / Twitter

07-23-2017 04:12 AM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it was a grand one!

07-23-2017 12:33 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(07-23-2017 12:33 PM)subtle science Wrote:  Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it was a grand one!

Thank you, Subtle! I had a nice birthday goofing off and doing as little as possible. Smile

Facebook / Twitter

07-25-2017 05:26 AM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

One of the best kinds of birthdays, especially if chocolate and adult beverages also were included in the goofing off! Big Grin

07-25-2017 05:07 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TITANIA!
HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY!

08-13-2017 06:33 PM
Titania Offline

Thank you! I have just come back from Germany where I spent some days with my family. I spent the day at the Steinhuder Meer, an inland lake, with my brother and some of his friends. My parents wanted to have a joint birthday party this year, so everybody was there (we don't all live in the same place). My niece ended up in a huge argument with my mother but that was nothing unusual, either my niece or my sister get into an argument with my parents from time to time, they are known for throwing tantrums. So this was not unusual.

Off to Iceland on Thursday!
08-14-2017 11:19 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

Glad you had a great birthday, Titania. Yes, relatives can be a little troubling at times, but I hope other than that, your visit went very well.

My son traveled to Iceland in April and thought it a gorgeous country. And then they visited Amsterdam, and he fell in love with the city. I do so envy you your trip! I was pretty amazed that Iceland is not that long of a flight from NY, shorter actually than flying to California, probably because we are more northern. One day I'd love to go there.

Have a great time!

08-17-2017 10:35 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Happy (much-belated) Birthday, Titania! Heart

Sadly, I haven't been hanging around here much lately - keep getting sidetracked by real-life news and crocheting tons of baby hats for some craft sales in September/October. Even checking in once a day I manage to miss birthdays for some reason - sorry about that!

Facebook / Twitter

08-20-2017 11:46 PM
Titania Offline

Thanks, Folks! I hope you are all right! My brother was in Houston on business a few weeks ago, so I reckon he was lucky. And it is also the area where some of my ancestors emigrated to in the mid 1800s...
09-03-2017 07:11 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(09-03-2017 07:11 PM)Titania Wrote:  Thanks, Folks! I hope you are all right! My brother was in Houston on business a few weeks ago, so I reckon he was lucky. And it is also the area where some of my ancestors emigrated to in the mid 1800s...

Oh - that's right! I remember your ancestor search!

Houston is going to be messed up for months, if not years, to come. Sad Just as bad as New Orleans after Katrina.

Facebook / Twitter

09-04-2017 01:45 AM
Titania Offline

If you know anybody affected who would like to get a free holiday in London, send them my way!
09-05-2017 08:16 PM