Snape's Harbor Beach Party Welcome & Chat
Serpentine Offline

RE: Snape's Harbor Beach Party Welcome & Chat
Happy birthday, Nyctalus my birthday twin! Smile

I baked some carrot cake last night, to bring some to both my colleagues in the office and to my fellow Irish Set Dancers (our group meets on Thursdays); as I didn't have a lot of time I used one of the baking mixes by Marks & Spencer (unfortunately this British store in Brussels, opened just in 2015, is going to close down again soon Sad ); add two eggs, a rasped carrot, some water, and 100g of cream cheese for the frosting. I didn't have the two small round baking tins the recipe demanded, only a rectangular tin, so my cake didn't look quite as fabulous as this (this one is for you, Nyctalus!)...

[Image: HT_FD_F75A_00824743_NC_X_EC_0]

but "only" like this (and I have lots of cream cheese frosting left over now!)... Blush

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinim...mp;amp;f=1]

... but is still delicious: tasty but not too sweet, inside soft and fluffy. Smile (In spite of my oven needing about double the time indicated on the box - that seems seriously off, I hope it isn't going to pieces! Confused ) I'll have to get some more of that baking mix as long as the store is still there, and bake that again for my Square Dance group (it's their turn on Monday!) - but this time I think I'll add chopped nuts as well. Yummy. Tongue

EDIT: *sending some virtual cake over from Europe to everyone here taking part in the Womens' March as well - lots of support!*

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.
Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."
(Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire')

[Image: blazon-color-cpcc2-av.gif]
I trust Severus Snape
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2017 07:03 PM by Serpentine.)
01-19-2017 06:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

NYCTALUS

[Image: Choccy1%20birthday%20cake_zps5khxa54a.jpg]

AND

SERPENTINE

[Image: Choccy%20birthday%20cake_zpsdc8xdiyv.jpg]

"All of time and space... where do you want to go?" - The Doctor [Image: tardis.gif]

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
01-19-2017 08:23 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

HAPPY BIRTHDAY--squared!

I hope you both had great days, full of treats and fun!

What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
--T. S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

[Image: sittingcat_zpsn1blmxfj.png]

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
01-20-2017 12:06 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Happy Birthday, Nyctalus and Serpentine!!!

[Image: OBS_severus_snape.jpg]

The New Improved Harry Potter Lexicon
Facebook / Twitter

[Image: Snape%20-%20Doe.png]
Required Reading: What is a Forum Moderator?
"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
~ Bob Ferguson, Washington State AG
01-20-2017 02:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Happy Lunar New Year!!!

[Image: chinese-new-year-card-004.gif]

Year of the Rooster

[Image: chinese-new-years-zodiac-year-of-the-rooster.png]

Facebook / Twitter

"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
01-29-2017 10:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Serpentine Offline

Sorry, I can't find any fitting subforum or thread for this... but I just wanted to say that I've come across an intriguing book I'm reading (interestingly touted as "Harry Potter for grown-ups"), the 1st part of a trilogy, and now I'm in the last third and just have to get the other two. Tongue

(EDIT: finally found the correct thread, placed the rest there - sorry!)

Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."

I trust Severus Snape
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2017 12:08 PM by Serpentine.)
02-09-2017 07:49 PM
David W. Offline
Resident Lurker

Anyone missed me?

« L'homme n'est qu'un roseau, le plus faible de la nature, mais c'est un roseau *pensant*. Il ne faut pas que l'univers entier s'arme pour l'écraser; une vapeur, une goutte d'eau suffit pour le tuer. Mais quand l'univers l'écraserait, l'homme serait encore plus noble que ce qui le tue, parce qu'il sait qu'il meurt et l'avantage que l'univers a sur lui; l'univers n'en sait rien. »

( “Man is but a reed, the most feeble thing in nature; but he is a *thinking* reed. The entire universe need not arm itself to crush him: a vapour, a drop of water suffices to kill him. But, if the universe were to crush him, man would still be more noble than that which killed him, because he knows that he dies and the advantage which the universe has over him; the universe knows nothing of this.” )

— Blaise Pascal

“如果你此生有幸,可以得到他的一个承诺。”

( “If you are truly blessed in this life, you might get a promise out of him.” )

— Caption on a Severus Snape splash-page from MovieView magazine, issue #412

02-26-2017 11:38 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Welcome back!

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
02-28-2017 12:09 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

Hi David, glad to hear from you again.

"All of time and space... where do you want to go?" - The Doctor [Image: tardis.gif]

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
02-28-2017 05:30 PM
Amber Offline

Nice to meet you, David. Smile
03-20-2017 03:29 AM
Serpentine Offline

Nyctalus, are you ok?

I trust Severus Snape
04-07-2017 07:19 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

Thinking the same thing. I'm going to try to contact her on Twitter.

04-07-2017 09:35 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Happy Easter!

I've got a little lamb roast marinating, plus a supply of asparagus--definitely a perfect spring meal! Big Grin

04-16-2017 05:47 PM
Titania Offline

Happy Easter from me and Serpentine. She is visiting me and I "dragged" her to church today. She has got a nasty cold and had to have a nap in the afternoon.

And we have just had some lemon schnaps from Poland. Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2017 11:03 PM by Titania.)
04-16-2017 11:01 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

A nap and schnaps! Excellent combination! Big Grin

04-17-2017 11:07 AM
Titania Offline

It was indeed! Here it is sunny but a little chilly. Enjoying a quiet Monday and later on I will take Serpentine back to the train. Otherwise I keep reading and sorting out stuff. Not sure when I have to move (my landlady is planning to sell this place) but I want to make sure to get rid of as much clutter as I can. I am most certainly not one of the tidy and well organised Germans.
04-17-2017 11:27 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Happy Birthday, Olwen!!! Heart

[Image: cake_1.jpg]

Facebook / Twitter

06-22-2017 03:26 AM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

Thank you, SIP! That's probably the prettiest cake I've ever seen! We went out to dinner last night and had the best waiter ever at our table. I ordered something and he burst out with "Oh my God, no, don't order that! Everyone hates it!" I do appreciate a good heads up! Big Grin

06-22-2017 09:50 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

How do people make cakes that look like that???? I've extended myself when I put sprinkles on top of the frosting. Tongue

I've tried cutting fondant. Repeat: TRIED.

I once went to my favorite breakfast place and ordered my favorite biscuits to go along with my favorite omelet. The extremely Southern waitress drawled, "Oh, no, honey--don't get them biscuits today. I dunno WUT he done to them this morning. They like rocks."

The toast was excellent.

06-23-2017 01:28 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

I could never make a cake that looked that pretty - it would be a disaster with icing - so I just appreciate them in cyberspace. My daughter probably could because she has become a great baker, but she learned from her mother-in-law instead of me.

My baking skills = basic Christmas Cookies and adding chocolate chips to brownie mix. Smile

Facebook / Twitter

06-24-2017 06:58 AM