Doctor Who
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

RE: Doctor Who
There's a long (6+ minutes) mini-episode called "The Doctor's Meditation." I tried to get the link, but I'm inept. It's worth a search: it's really very good.

What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
--T. S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
09-22-2015 12:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chievrefueil Offline

Thanks for the heads up, subtle! It appears that you're not inept at all - unless there's an illegal posting that hasn't yet been removed, a link isn't available. It sounds like the video was posted on the official Doctor Who facebook page, but region locked so it could only be seen in the UK. It was supposed to have been broadcast on BBC America the evening before "The Magician's Apprentice" aired, but I didn't see anything about it to know to watch ...

Anyway, I was able to see it through a "reaction video" of someone else watching it (the video was a split screen with the prequel on one side and the person reacting on the other). It looked interesting, but listening to guy reacting was kind of distracting, especially since he was very concerned about understanding why the different snippets of music were being used (apparently, the regeneration music from Eleven to Twelve, some other music from Eleven, and some music thematic to Amy).

"The Magician's Apprentice" seemed like a promising start to this series. I'm really interested to see how everything turns out in the second part this weekend.
09-24-2015 02:33 AM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Hmmm.....

Why do the ghosts look like Davros, with the hollowed out eyes?

Why does Twelve continue to wear the outfits of John Simms' Master? The red-lined black jacket, and now the ratty looking hoodie. Missy, in turn, continues to wear a female version of Eleven's Victorian gear.

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
10-04-2015 02:04 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Hm.

Why can so many people who have died come back................except Ianto Jones?

Yeah.

Not only still bitter, but now even MORE bitter.

Not really feeling the fan feeling right now, kthnxby Ms. Tregenna and Mr. Moffat. And Mr. Rusty.

10-25-2015 07:49 PM
Ianus Incantatus Offline
Marine Archaeologist

The show is running a few weeks behind UK/US here, so just saw Heaven Sent. Last two episodes look curiously HP inspired: Streets undetectable to ordinary humans in the middle of London, which then look like they've recycled set design from Knockturn Alley. Castle with moving rooms and walls where a sort of boggart is roaming around. A Phoenix style rebirth (this alone is obviously not attributable to HP). Coincidence or have these been written by a fan?
12-16-2015 10:07 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

(12-16-2015 10:07 PM)Ianus Incantatus Wrote:  The show is running a few weeks behind UK/US here, so just saw Heaven Sent. Last two episodes look curiously HP inspired: Streets undetectable to ordinary humans in the middle of London, which then look like they've recycled set design from Knockturn Alley. Castle with moving rooms and walls where a sort of boggart is roaming around. A Phoenix style rebirth (this alone is obviously not attributable to HP). Coincidence or have these been written by a fan?

I think I read somewhere that actually is a hidden street in Cardiff. I'll have to check.

Here it is: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-2...in-cardiff

The rest, of course, is set design which, curiously enough, reminded me more of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere which preceded Harry Potter by a couple of years. Those sets must get around. Big Grin

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 12:05 AM by Olwen.)
12-16-2015 10:59 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

BBC revealed the 13th Doctor: Jodie Whittaker.

She's going to be brilliant, even if she's still not ginger! Seriously, when it became apparent by an anvil of clues that the next Doctor would be a woman, I crossed my fingers and wished very very hard it would be Olivia Coleman or Jodie Whittaker. I am doing a happy dance tonight!

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 10:20 PM by Olwen.)
07-16-2017 10:18 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whittaker is brilliant in Broadchurch--her performance as Beth has been perfect. The role of grieving mother is relatively easy to play--I mean: sad, audience sympathy....it could be that basic; however, she has captured not only the sadness, but the guilt and the anger--and then the virtually impossible task of "moving on" with her life and her family's lives, as survivors.

Thank you, Moffat--and: go for it, Chibnall!

07-16-2017 10:47 PM