Star Wars Sequel
arithmancer Offline
Deeply Horrible Person

Star Wars Sequel
Has anyone else seen "The Force Awakens"? I and my boys all have and we really enjoyed it. I liked all of the new characters the film introduces, especially Rey - I love having a female character in Star Wars that I really like again. (I like Natalie Portman, but she was wasted on the prequel trilogy in my opinion).

I also enjoyed Kylo Ren, who is played by an actor with the right general looks to play Snape. (Image of him here.)

[Image: sigune_snape.jpg]
12-22-2015 04:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

RE: Star Wars Sequel
I haven't seen it yet: I'm waiting for the crowds to die down a bit.....I have been thoroughly spoiled, though, and really look forward to seeing it.

It has been interesting to read Internet comments about how ugly the actor playing Kylo Ren is--lots of comments about his "unfortunate" looks and musings about how his parents could produce such an ugly kid.......and no wonder the kid turns out as he does, with looks like that.

As that photo shows: I think the guy's gorgeous. Compelling looks. And a slam dunk for Snape.

What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
--T. S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
12-22-2015 12:17 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Gosh, people are saying that guy is ugly? Go figure! The same people who thought Snape couldn't have a heart because he was ugly, right? Rolleyes

I haven't seen it either just because I've been so busy getting ready for Christmas. My older son went to see it with a friend last Thursday and they loved it! I wouldn't let him spoil it for me because I'll probably go with my youngest next weekend or sometime before New Year's. I've seen lots of good reviews, so I'm excited! Smile

The New Improved Harry Potter Lexicon
Facebook / Twitter

[Image: Snape%20-%20Doe.png]
Required Reading: What is a Forum Moderator?
"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
~ Bob Ferguson, Washington State AG
12-23-2015 12:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Great article about why a certain scene had to happen in Star Wars - SPOILERS!!!!

http://www.blastr.com/2015-12-22/jj-abra...ce-awakens

I saw the new film with my youngest on New Year's Eve and it was amazing, shocking, familiar, fun, exciting - we both loved it. What more can I say? Smile

Facebook / Twitter

"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
01-03-2016 11:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Malevolent_Bat Offline
Upside-Down Observer

I really liked the movie. It has this feeling of good old Star Wars.

And about THE SCENE - and, silly of me, I thought it was because the actor was tired of being the character... Tongue (OK, today I'm wearing my cynical self).

[Image: sigpic12867_1.gif]

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious
09-10-2016 09:34 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

I finally saw "The Force Awakens" today--and enjoyed it, despite That Scene.

And then, tonight: breaking news that Carrie Fisher has suffered a "massive heart attack." She was on a flight, landed in LA, taken off by EMTs and taken to the hospital.......

2016. Really????

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
12-24-2016 01:00 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

I've been sad about Carrie Fisher, but her mother Debbie Reynolds said today she was in "stable" condition. I'm not really sure what that means though. Sad

I'm going to see "Rogue One" tomorrow. Has anyone else seen it yet?

Facebook / Twitter

12-26-2016 12:08 AM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

As today's news demonstrates...."stable" just means "not changing"--ie, someone who was crashing is no longer doing that; alternatively, someone who is in bad shape is not getting better..................

The one thing that I didn't care for in "The Force Awakens" is that we didn't get Sardonic Princess Leia: in 1977, I almost fell out of my movie theater seat, laughing at the Princess' hilariously smart, tart lines. No useless, puling damsel in distress, she....."Aren't you a little SHORT for a storm trooper?" "This is some rescue--didn't you have a plan for getting OUT?" "Into the garbage chute, flyboy!" "I'm surprised you're still alive--Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?" The juxtaposition of Fisher's dewy, petite beauty and her deep, whiskey voice could not have been more perfect.

But it wasn't just that Leia was sarcastic--she was also intelligent, adaptable, courageous, and perceptive. Pretty heavy stuff for 1977. Pretty heavy stuff for 2016.

I haven't seen "Rogue One" yet (I mean, c'mon--I only JUST managed "The Force Awakens," possibly the last person in the US to see it), but I understand that it ends pretty much right where "A New Hope" (aka, the REAL and first Star Wars) begins. I got intrigued for the film when someone on the Interwebzz noted that that makes 1977 Princess Leia even more of a badass as she faces down Darth Vader in the beginning of "A New Hope." So, I think I need to be a bit more prompt about seeing "Rogue One" than I was "The Force Awakens." Tongue

12-27-2016 09:26 PM