Natural Disasters
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

RE: Natural Disasters
(10-07-2017 12:47 AM)subtle science Wrote:  I'm involved in running a food drive for Puerto Rico, and we just could not believe it, a few days ago, when the tropical low was predicted to become a hurricane that would head somewhere in the Gulf.....We just shook our heads when the forecast was for the impact to be tomorrow--when we'll be accepting donations all day long in a parking lot.

Selfishly, I'm quite glad that we will not be collecting hurricane relief supplies in the midst of....a hurricane. Tongue

Gosh, Puerto Rico needs all the help they can get! History will not be kind to D. Trump over that disaster! Bush flubbed Katrina, but he didn't diss the governor every day on Twitter, or toss out paper towels like footballs. As if paper towels can clean up his mess! Sad

Subtle: I'm so glad that Nate seems to be just far enough west to miss Florida, thank goodness.

10-07-2017 06:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

All dry today--hot and humid, but not rainy! A couple of Puerto Rican refugees hung around after contributing a massive amount of donations, and I had a great, extended conversation with one of them (they ended up stranded in Florida when Maria hit and still can't get home). He was very cautious and hesitant, as we talked about the totality of the destruction of the island--as he said, finally, "I don't want to be political"....eyeing the US flag pin I always wear [sad fact: most people assume this means I am an extreme right-winger; sometimes, students ask about it (almost always minority students), and I explain that I have worn it ever since 9/11, in honor of the two people to whom I was connected who died in the World Trade Center]........

Anyway. When he said that, I bluntly told him how appalled I was at the slow, even absurd, response of the Yam to this crisis. He let go a huge sigh....and then spoke about how insulting and horrendous the Yam's tossing of paper towels into the crowd was. He unloaded quite a bit about that--and I can't say that I could disagree with a single point.

Of course, the major obstacle is most likely that the Yam has no idea that Puerto Rico is, in fact, the United States. Although, he apparently is having a lot of fun mocking the pronunciation of the name of the island--because, it seems, saying it correctly in Spanish is an offense to Yam ears.

What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
--T. S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
10-07-2017 09:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

Trump is a native New Yorker, 71 years of age. We have a large Puerto Rican population here. It's inconceivable he doesn't know Puerto Ricans are US citizens. His handling of this comes from someplace else. He had 4 days of warnings before the second hurricane hit. The navy ought to have gotten their directions so that they'd be deployed within hours of all clear. Bush was unprepared and had an unqualified, inadequate head of Fema, but neither mocked the hurricane victims, or treated them as arrogantly as Trump. Throwing paper towels into the audience was unforgivable, but not nearly as unforgivable as not sending help immediately.

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
10-08-2017 04:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

The lack of respect for Puerto Rico is unforgivable! Sad But then, the GOP has been dissing Hawaii for the past 8 years as if it isn't even a state because Obama was born there. Rolleyes Stupidity in action!

subtle science Wrote:the Yam

This made me laugh out loud! Tongue

10-08-2017 08:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Not really a "disaster" but it's snowing everywhere from Tallahassee, Florida, up to Charleston and Savannah today! The dream of Southern children everywhere, LOL. Smile

But this is all part of a "Bomb Cyclone" about to hit the Northeast Coast. I guess it's like a Super-Duper Nor'Easter? Scary!

https://www.livescience.com/61316-bomb-c...ecast.html

01-03-2018 08:01 PM