Natural Disasters
SnapesWitch Offline

RE: Natural Disasters
On tonight's news it looked like storm had moved to the west instead of straight up the middle as it was yesterday. Oh my, forgot about my nephew and his family in Cape Coral!!
08-29-2015 01:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SnapesWitch Offline

Word from my sister:

Relax, it's just a tropical storm.
08-29-2015 07:06 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Lots of rain. Cuba tore the storm to pieces; it may regroup over the Florida straits and as it heads up along the coastline--but it's expected to stay offshore and just dump up to five inches of rain. Not good for the northern counties that are still saturated from last month's deluges, but not as bad as also getting high winds.

What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
--T. S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
08-29-2015 11:33 PM
David W. Offline
Resident Lurker

(08-29-2015 07:06 PM)SnapesWitch Wrote:  Word from my sister:

Kudos to her optimism, at any rate!

« L'homme n'est qu'un roseau, le plus faible de la nature, mais c'est un roseau *pensant*. Il ne faut pas que l'univers entier s'arme pour l'écraser; une vapeur, une goutte d'eau suffit pour le tuer. Mais quand l'univers l'écraserait, l'homme serait encore plus noble que ce qui le tue, parce qu'il sait qu'il meurt et l'avantage que l'univers a sur lui; l'univers n'en sait rien. »

( “Man is but a reed, the most feeble thing in nature; but he is a *thinking* reed. The entire universe need not arm itself to crush him: a vapour, a drop of water suffices to kill him. But, if the universe were to crush him, man would still be more noble than that which killed him, because he knows that he dies and the advantage which the universe has over him; the universe knows nothing of this.” )

— Blaise Pascal

“如果你此生有幸,可以得到他的一个承诺。”

( “If you are truly blessed in this life, you might get a promise out of him.” )

— Caption on a Severus Snape splash-page from MovieView magazine, issue #412

08-31-2015 12:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SnapesWitch Offline

(08-31-2015 12:52 PM)David W. Wrote:  
(08-29-2015 07:06 PM)SnapesWitch Wrote:  Word from my sister:

Kudos to her optimism, at any rate!

She's lived in Florida for many years and even survived Andrew, so it's experience as much as optimism!
09-01-2015 04:17 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

It's basically over now, and as tropical storms go, this one was pretty weak. Which is a good thing. Smile

The New Improved Harry Potter Lexicon
Facebook / Twitter

[Image: Snape%20-%20Doe.png]
Required Reading: What is a Forum Moderator?
"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
~ Bob Ferguson, Washington State AG
09-01-2015 11:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Hurricane Matthew is a monster storm! And it's one of those storms that may circle around and come right back, which is scary on top of the damage done already.

Live coverage:
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/new...s-forecast

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/10/07/hur...canaveral/

[Image: matthew-radar-107_5am.gif]

[Image: Matthew%20-%20loop.jpg]

Facebook / Twitter

"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
10-07-2016 05:06 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Last I heard, the wheel-around may be affected by strong wind shear. I hope so--once is more than enough for the Bahamas, for heaven's sake.

Here in Florida, Governor Voldemort has announced that he will not extend the deadline for voter registration, despite the weather catastrophe. Guess no one told him that the Gold Coast is pretty heavily Republican.....

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
10-07-2016 08:47 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Prayers for everyone in Texas right now! Hurricane Harvey is a Category 4 beast and moving so slowly that the flooding may be of biblical proportions.

I saw one report that said the storm may go slowly inland then circle back to the coast and come back to hit Houston again next week. That's hard to believe.

Facebook / Twitter

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 09:09 PM by Silver Ink Pot.)
08-26-2017 03:55 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Facebook / Twitter

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 09:11 PM by Silver Ink Pot.)
08-27-2017 09:08 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Stunning images from Houston and the surrounding areas.....Although, I think my favorite cheering photo was of a highway--for as far as the eye could see, there was a line of pick up trucks towing trailers loaded with Johnny boats; the caption was: "The Cajun Navy is on its way." Big Grin

In contrast....I accidentally came across the so-called president at an airfield, about to leave Texas. He apparently was addressing a group of rescuers and I, unfortunately, caught his utterly graceless remark that "You went in where no one else did [if he'd stopped there, I'd have to give him props, but, no--this is the so-called president]....The media didn't go there--THEY didn't go [pointing to the press unlucky enough to have to cover this useless jackanapes]."

I seriously would've been happy to donate to a cause if one of the press corps had countered with, "Neither did you, you bloated windbag."

09-02-2017 09:27 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

He shares a lot in common with Putin and the people who murdered Daniel Pearl and James Foley. They don't like a free press either.

Watching Pox he must have missed the clips of local reporters wading into flooded areas to save people. I'm sure it wasn't as exciting as Hillary'e emails.

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
09-02-2017 10:13 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(09-02-2017 09:27 PM)subtle science Wrote:  ...In contrast....I accidentally came across the so-called president at an airfield, about to leave Texas. He apparently was addressing a group of rescuers and I, unfortunately, caught his utterly graceless remark that "You went in where no one else did [if he'd stopped there, I'd have to give him props, but, no--this is the so-called president]....The media didn't go there--THEY didn't go [pointing to the press unlucky enough to have to cover this useless jackanapes]."

I seriously would've been happy to donate to a cause if one of the press corps had countered with, "Neither did you, you bloated windbag."

I saw several reporters tweeting that Trump should have to stand in e-coli infested water up to his hips as many reporters have while reporting on the hurricane.

And he talked yesterday about how "happy" the people are in the shelters, and now "great" it's all been for the country. He couldn't have less empathy if he tried. Those folks have literally lost everything, and while everyone has been uplifted to watch the rescues and outpourings of kindness, this disaster is causing major problems - gas shortages, for instance.

But Trump only has about a 20-word vocabulary to discuss any given thing. And he only uses small words - great, happy, bad, huge.

Facebook / Twitter

09-04-2017 01:51 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Florida getting hammered by Hurricane Irma today, then it heads north to my neck of the woods in Tennessee. Now they show it veering west towards Memphis and Arkansas - which is okay with me! However, Harvey moved west of us last week and we still had strong winds as it passed by. I'm sure Georgia south of Atlanta will be flooded just like Florida, too.

Facebook / Twitter

09-10-2017 08:17 PM
Serpentine Offline

"8 Insane Moments Journalists Risked Their Lives To Report On Hurricane Irma"

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/cr..._hp_ref=uk

Quote:(...) Journalists have come under fire for their coverage of recent hurricanes, not least from President Donald Trump who praised the Coast Guard for “going into winds that the media would not go into...unless it’s a really good story” when Hurricane Harvey hit.

Viewers of the TV reports have also been critical of the networks and have voiced their concerns about the safety of reporters, including CNN’s Kyung Lah who was almost hit by a falling street sign as she clung onto a railing to report from Miami Beach.

Similarly, when NBC News correspondent Miguel Almaguer physically attached himself to a building in order to stay on the ground while he reported through powerful winds in Florida City, people were angry that he’d been put there in the first place. (...)

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.
Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."
(Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire')

[Image: blazon-color-cpcc2-av.gif]
I trust Severus Snape
09-11-2017 02:47 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Serpentine: Here's my favorite dangerous moment - Mike Bettes from The Weather Channel nearly getting sucked up by a small tornado that passes right behind him! Confused

And by the way, Trump is absolutely wrong about reporters not going into danger. I guess he never cared enough to watch Anderson Cooper and others after Katrina standing in the dirty water up to their necks while helping refugees get to safety. Trump is a man who has never been near danger in his life - avoided Vietnam - and has never lifted a finger to help anybody in an emergency - so it's no wonder he can't understand what reporters or meteorologists do during natural disasters.

Facebook / Twitter

09-13-2017 05:04 AM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

I have to say that the running joke down here, as we watched The Weather Channel last weekend, was "Which producer did Mike Seidel offend?" Also, as the water rose and the wind increased: "Has anyone seen Mike lately?" Seidel, seriously, did NOT need to be reporting from where he was stationed in Miami.

The Keys are a mess--almost no electricity; no water; little access to any supplies....People who are going back to their houses and businesses are being warned that they'll have to "live rough."

Still, nothing compares to Barbuda. And Hurricane Maria is headed that way.

All I can say is that the winds are shifting--not just because of Hurricane Jose, either! In the early morning, you can feel the drop in humidity and there's a breeze that was not there two months ago. Autumn is on its way. Time for the hurricanes to go away.

Just keep in mind, though: global climate change is a "hoax"; Governor Voldemort of FL forbids anyone in his office from using the phrase "climate change." So, that's how much is being done to reduce the effects and/or plan for the future. It will be a kind of Pyrrhic victory, I guess, to watch the waves crash over the former Mar-a-Lago when it becomes all Mar.

09-17-2017 08:25 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Subtle: We always laugh about Mike Seidel at our house too, LOL, because he is usually just one strong wind away from death. Or someday he will drown under a giant wave. Big Grin

We're all glad you survived the Eye of Irma!

Facebook / Twitter

09-18-2017 04:47 AM