Poll: From what source(s) do you receive news that you consider true/concise/BS-free/enlightening?
Newspapers (paper or digital?)
TV news (any channels in particular?)
News websites
Social media (Facebook, Twitter etc.)
Other sources
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Reference News (《参考消息》)
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

RE: Reference News (《参考消息》)
I listened to some of today's vileness (loudly applauded by such notables as David Duke), but actually had to turn it off: I'm not exaggerating to say that I wanted to throw up.

Trump, basically, endorsed Nazis. According to him, people who oppose Nazis are as bad as Nazis. My mother and father, who served in WWII to defeat the Nazis, must be spinning in their graves.

Apparently, Trump genuinely sees nothing wrong at all with Nazis: to him, they have a valid point of view. It's incomprehensible to me. But he supports them. Those of us who are Americans and who are appalled by Nazism suspected Trump's affiliations--the evidence was pretty clear; however, today, he utterly confirmed his own personal beliefs: he is one of them. He is wholly without morals or decency. It is nauseating.

What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
--T. S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

We have built no Temple but the CAPITOL; We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
08-16-2017 03:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

Trump's press conference was the ravings of a man in the middle stage of dementia. The look of absolute disbelief on Kelly's face said it all. But really, he shouldn't be so shocked. It was Trump with the filters off, just like his base wants. If it wasn't apparent during the campaign that this is a man without a moral compass and one who doesn't care and probably thinks moral compasses are for suckers, then it should grab those people in the back by both ears and shout into their faces that the president is a white supremacist and Nazi sympathizer. But I doubt if his hardcore supporters would care. David Duke, a man who was put in his place several times by George HW Bush, applauded the speech.

My father fought against Rommel's army in North Africa and against Mussolini in the invasion of Anzio. My g-g grandfather emigrated from England and, at the age of 54, enlisted in the Union Army. He didn't have to do that, he had a family. He died at Cold Harbor. His son, my great-grandfather was wounded twice. None of them sacrificed so that Nazis could roam our streets or white supremacists could harass, beat and even kill innocent citizens.

I don't know what he's talking about, and frankly, neither does he. There is only one side of Charlottesville to be on, the side that didn't come with an armed militia, riot shields, bats and the side that didn't gang up and beat a young man bloody or murder a young woman. No, President Bone Spurs, both sides are not at fault, the fault lies solely with the ones you are placating.

I could vomit from what I saw on Saturday. I hope tomorrow all those Republicans who are always being rumored to be whispering about how worried they are at his unfitness finally find their backbones and begin impeachment proceedings before there is no more America, as we know it.

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
08-16-2017 05:40 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

I keep seeing rumors on Twitter that behind the scenes the Congress and intelligence agencies are seeking a solution to Trump, whether impeachment based on "unfit to serve," or getting some type of health evaluation of his Alzheimer's or Dementia.

It's probably just a rumor, though. *sigh*

The New Improved Harry Potter Lexicon
Facebook / Twitter

[Image: Snape%20-%20Doe.png]
Required Reading: What is a Forum Moderator?
"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
~ Bob Ferguson, Washington State AG
08-24-2017 02:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

Something has to give. The level of crazy is off the scales. It seems like cracks are opening in the GOP, from the recent news stories about a feud between 45 and McConnell, to legislation by Sen Burr blocking 45 from firing Mueller, to Flake writing an op ed and others speaking out. And the other day there was a 10 hour hearing on the dossier which Grassley said would be made public. I tend to believe the speculation I've read that they are waiting and hoping for Mueller to drop the penny so they don't have to do it, and will gladly jump on board, but they will not initiate impeachment proceedings first out of fear and cowardice. They had enough for obstruction of justice when he fired James Comey and more than enough when Junior's series of emails produced proof. And now Roger Stone is on another unhinged rant about violence and civil war if 45 is impeached which seems to be pointing to something big brewing or about to be dropped. Let's hope so.

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2017 08:03 PM by Olwen.)
08-24-2017 08:03 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

And tonight in the middle of Hurricane Harvey devastation, Trump decided to pardon his Birther friend Joe Arpaio. Dodgy

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/s...index.html

Yes, Trump has to power and legal right to pardon whomever he likes, but choosing a racist like Arpaio for his first pardon sends a clear message - and not in a good way.

Also this means that Arpaio is admitting he is guilty of "criminal obstruction" against the court in his racial profiling case.

Facebook / Twitter

"It's not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom. It's the Constitution."
08-26-2017 03:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

Look at the bright side: Arpaio will be fighting law suits until he dies.

Mueller and team, including I hope NY AG Eric Schneiderman, must be more than a few steps ahead of Brigadier Bone Spurs, and have a long range plan in mind in the inevitable event he issues blanket pardons. Presidential pardons don't extend to state crimes, and Trump Tower resides in NY. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, but if we come out of this there will be a clear incentive to codify the rules of conduct for presidents since we have now learned that the code of honor is meaningless to those without honor or respect for the rule of law.

And, just another example of Brigadier Bone Spurs classy followers: people were shouting their hopes that John McCain would die of his brain tumor at his rally, while Roger Stone, always classy, wished karma on John McCain that he would burn in hell. I'd take the Trump bumpersticker off my car now, if I were a supporter. Why let the whole world know what you are?

08-27-2017 12:42 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(08-27-2017 12:42 AM)Olwen Wrote:  Look at the bright side: Arpaio will be fighting law suits until he dies.

Let's hope so! Big Grin

Quote:Mueller and team, including I hope NY AG Eric Schneiderman, must be more than a few steps ahead of Brigadier Bone Spurs, and have a long range plan in mind in the inevitable event he issues blanket pardons. Presidential pardons don't extend to state crimes, and Trump Tower resides in NY. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, but if we come out of this there will be a clear incentive to codify the rules of conduct for presidents since we have now learned that the code of honor is meaningless to those without honor or respect for the rule of law.

Schneiderman is our back-up Obi Wan Kenobi. Smile I really like his style - he is a legal bulldog!

Quote:And, just another example of Brigadier Bone Spurs classy followers: people were shouting their hopes that John McCain would die of his brain tumor at his rally, while Roger Stone, always classy, wished karma on John McCain that he would burn in hell. I'd take the Trump bumpersticker off my car now, if I were a supporter. Why let the whole world know what you are?

I keep thinking of all the Trump voters in Texas. He doesn't even care enough about his voters to retweet the Red Cross phone number. He's just spouting off today about "the rescue is underway!" as if he's watching a movie instead of reality - but what else is new?

Facebook / Twitter

08-27-2017 08:57 PM