Check-In Thread!!
David W. Offline
Resident Lurker

RE: Check-In Thread!!
I'm roughly the same age as thewizardess, but I haven't been on the Old Island for too long, I joined in around 2011 and stayed until the place sank.

« L'homme n'est qu'un roseau, le plus faible de la nature, mais c'est un roseau *pensant*. Il ne faut pas que l'univers entier s'arme pour l'écraser; une vapeur, une goutte d'eau suffit pour le tuer. Mais quand l'univers l'écraserait, l'homme serait encore plus noble que ce qui le tue, parce qu'il sait qu'il meurt et l'avantage que l'univers a sur lui; l'univers n'en sait rien. »

( “Man is but a reed, the most feeble thing in nature; but he is a *thinking* reed. The entire universe need not arm itself to crush him: a vapour, a drop of water suffices to kill him. But, if the universe were to crush him, man would still be more noble than that which killed him, because he knows that he dies and the advantage which the universe has over him; the universe knows nothing of this.” )

— Blaise Pascal

“如果你此生有幸,可以得到他的一个承诺。”

( “If you are truly blessed in this life, you might get a promise out of him.” )

— Caption on a Severus Snape splash-page from MovieView magazine, issue #412

05-16-2015 02:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(05-15-2015 03:46 PM)The Librarian Wrote:  The HPN is 16 years old? wow. I am 18 years old Big Grin Guess I'm the youngest member around? Big Grin

Welcome to back to the forum Smile

Age doesn't matter. Smile

I'm not sure what year TheHPN was started. Somewhere there is probably a post in which Nicc tells the history of The Island.

I was trying to do the math (not my strong suit, nor are timelines).

The British HP and the Philosopher's Stone came out in 1997, which was 18 years ago. Scholastic Books in the U.S. came out with Sorcerer's Stone in 1998, followed quickly by Chamber of Secrets. I remember seeing both books together in a bookstore around the fall of 1999, when my older son was 9 (now he is 25 like thewizardess - born in 1990).

Considering the U.S. publishing timeline, TheHPN must have been created between 1998-99. Smile

05-16-2015 05:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Librarian Offline
Head Auror

Wow. This forum is almost as old as Mugglenet! :-D

And good to hear that I'm not the youngest one here. Big Grin

[Image: 15f2hb7.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 11:05 AM by The Librarian.)
05-17-2015 11:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thewizardess Offline

Yes, this place was definitely around in 1999, I distinctly remember creating my own fake hogwarts Ezboard myself for my friends from the old HPN at that age and people saying "wow you're 9 and run a message board? awesome!", hehe. The HPN used to be on Ezboard (does that service/site even still exist?) and I remember bright garish colors for each board, I remember spending lots of time on the Hufflepuff board just because the bright yellow background made me feel happy Smile
05-28-2015 10:54 PM
Sonatina Offline

I'm pretty sure that there were two Ezboards, pub3 and pub35. I joined in June 2002, and by then it was the second Ezboard. I still have a bunch of saved files, some threads, anniversary stuff, but not with me at the moment.

If I remember correctly, the first board was a little more regulated -- people had their own shops in Diagon Alley, you had to join a specific house. The second one had boards for the different Hogwarts houses, but you could choose whichever you wanted. There were also general RPG boards like the Lake, Forbidden Forest.

People disliked Ezboard because of the pop-ups and general ads. In September 2002, we moved to our own domain. The posting games board was added to dissuade people from posting junk to increase their post count. There were several more layout changes, colors as well as boards, and at least one other domain change; I don't remember at the moment. There was usually a main site as well as the message boards. It was all run and started by a woman from Singapore, Liyana. If you go to http://www.thehpn.com, there are a couple of blog-style posts from a Singaporean; I'm not sure if it's her or not.

Members always came and went, with a few regulars that stayed a pretty long time. (I remember thewizardess as being one of the "old" oldies,) The biggest change in members was some years ago, maybe around the time of the last book or so. There was a huge wave of new members from some other board that closed. They were huge Snape supporters and had some conflicts with other members over that. They were of a somewhat older demographic than the majority of the current members. The boards got slower at around that point, but there were still new movies coming out, so there was still some activity. When these boards opened, I got an email from Nicc telling me about it.

I joined these boards a little after the email I got from him, but didn't really have any motivation to say anything. I guess some people might remember me, as I was relatively active for a number of years, but I was always more of a lurker than poster. Anyway, the Internet is a different place now. Back then, it was more about creating your online name, hanging out in message boards that fit your interests, places like Livejournal, and so on -- more anonymous whereas now, everything is tied to your real-life identity, social networking. "Sonatina" is now the name of my cat, funnily enough.
08-01-2015 11:57 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(08-01-2015 11:57 PM)Sonatina Wrote:  The biggest change in members was some years ago, maybe around the time of the last book or so. There was a huge wave of new members from some other board that closed. They were huge Snape supporters and had some conflicts with other members over that. They were of a somewhat older demographic than the majority of the current members.

Some were older and some weren't. And some of us are still here. Smile Actually most of us are still here.

We didn't migrate because a board closed, but because of the Snape Wars over on CosForums. We just wanted a place to talk about the books without being harassed and our friend Chievrefueil was a member here, so the rest of us joined. Nicc was very welcoming and we loved coming here - that's why we called it our "Island" oasis.

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 01:23 AM by Silver Ink Pot.)
08-02-2015 01:22 AM
David W. Offline
Resident Lurker

Wait, I thought http://www.thehpn.com was a dead link now...?

« L'homme n'est qu'un roseau, le plus faible de la nature, mais c'est un roseau *pensant*. Il ne faut pas que l'univers entier s'arme pour l'écraser; une vapeur, une goutte d'eau suffit pour le tuer. Mais quand l'univers l'écraserait, l'homme serait encore plus noble que ce qui le tue, parce qu'il sait qu'il meurt et l'avantage que l'univers a sur lui; l'univers n'en sait rien. »

( “Man is but a reed, the most feeble thing in nature; but he is a *thinking* reed. The entire universe need not arm itself to crush him: a vapour, a drop of water suffices to kill him. But, if the universe were to crush him, man would still be more noble than that which killed him, because he knows that he dies and the advantage which the universe has over him; the universe knows nothing of this.” )

— Blaise Pascal

“如果你此生有幸,可以得到他的一个承诺。”

( “If you are truly blessed in this life, you might get a promise out of him.” )

08-02-2015 08:36 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(08-02-2015 08:36 AM)David W. Wrote:  Wait, I thought http://www.thehpn.com was a dead link now...?

Um, yes. Not sure of your point but the original forum crashed badly so we had to rebuild here on the present forum. But most of the members who were here in 2007 are still members, though not all are active.

08-02-2015 11:48 AM
Sonatina Offline

It redirects to http://koccoro.com/wp/. I think his point was because I linked to it in my previous post.

https://web.archive.org/web/200210041849...bhpnetwork The "Evilboards" as many people called them.

https://web.archive.org/web/200212081658...n/YaBB.cgi
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 08:20 PM by Sonatina.)
08-02-2015 09:00 PM
Olwen Offline
Super Moderator

The hpn.com domain belongs to Li, the former owner. It now links back to a personal page of hers. The domain lapsed unexpectedly a couple of years ago and Nicc, the new owner, restarted thehpn again with '.net' because '.com' was not available.

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
08-03-2015 12:08 AM
David W. Offline
Resident Lurker

Oh thank you, I was just wondering because I'd misread Sonatina as we could find old forum stuff if we go back to that link...

— Blaise Pascal

“如果你此生有幸,可以得到他的一个承诺。”

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 02:55 AM by David W..)
08-03-2015 02:53 AM
Olwen Offline
Super Moderator

When the original forum, thehpn.com, ceased to be hosted on the server the threads were lost, except for those that could be salvaged using Google cache, like the caption contest or the salvaged threads that can be found in the General Message subforum. Everything else is gone.

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 04:18 AM by Olwen.)
08-03-2015 04:17 AM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

Ah, I didn't notice the link in sonatina's post, which is why I didn't understand the coversation. Sorry about that. Wink

08-03-2015 08:00 AM
seeker Offline

Woah... the forum still lives on?? wow!
10-15-2017 05:25 PM
Silver Ink Pot Offline
Super Moderator

(10-15-2017 05:25 PM)seeker Wrote:  Woah... the forum still lives on?? wow!

Hi, seeker! Wow, haven't seen you around in a long time!

Yes, the forum still lives, but is pretty quiet these days. Smile

10-16-2017 05:19 AM
seeker Offline

No one believes it's my original name! I've had it since AIM, as I like that song "the seeker" by the who.

So I'm trying to remember all the original folks... NICC of course. You Sip... was i the only one that abbreviated? Winterlight isn't around it seems, but I still have her on facebook even after ALL these years.

Man, feels like ages ago...

(10-16-2017 05:19 AM)Silver Ink Pot Wrote:  
(10-15-2017 05:25 PM)seeker Wrote:  Woah... the forum still lives on?? wow!

Hi, seeker! Wow, haven't seen you around in a long time!

Yes, the forum still lives, but is pretty quiet these days. Smile
10-17-2017 04:07 AM