The Sporting Life
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

RE: The Sporting Life
The Alps! OMG!!! This might be one of my favorite views in Le Tour: I can't say "favorite," because every time they enter a new landscape, I'm sure that's my favorite. Big Grin

I'll have to keep tuning in while they're in the Alps....because....GOATS! I love seeing goats hopping around the crags--none today, alas, but I will be looking in high hopes.

Today was gorgeous, though--amazing vistas from waaaayyyyy up in the mountains.

The fans remained as insane as ever. Most inexplicable "fan" moment: setting off yet another smoke bomb, this one even more massive, on a curve going up the mountain, as the cyclists were gasping for air.

That was a head scratcher, but not so much as the commentary, which is just.....weird. Indecipherable, for the most part, since the commentators veer wildly between talking about what's on the screen and imagining what might happen next, or later, or tomorrow--or what happened yesterday, or last year--without any actual words that indicate we have time traveled. They also use the riders' names, which are meaningless to a viewer because every cyclist looks identical but for the numbers (usually unreadable) on their backs. The commentators also keep referring to the jersey colors, which doesn't work because A. they ability to identify colors is a tad shaky (lots of jerseys, according to them, are yellow--different yellow than THE YELLOW, and the "yellow" they mean when they don't mean THE YELLOW is actually fluorescent lime green) and B. there's not an extensive color pallet amongst the teams: ie, "blue" covers approximately 70% of the participants.......

The commentators offered a couple of gems today, in addition to the usual inability to figure out where we were on the course (one even admitted that he had been talking about the cyclists' being "inside the 2 KM mark" for several minutes before they actually got to the official sign....). They ALMOST identified a rider for the audience, but described him as the one "in the sunglasses": three riders on the screen, all wearing sunglasses. Thanks.

At the end, there was the ??? of the observation that the stage winner was a Columbian: "a Columbian winner, as we should [have] during these high mountain climbs."

And, best helpful comment as they were trying to find a cyclist somewhere along the course, noting that "he's either in front or behind."

Okay--I will give them the point that there's another possible direction during the Alps stages: off the side of a cliff. Which the "fans" leaping out into the narrow road in front of the riders seem hell bent on causing.

As a sport, this is so weird. As a travelogue, it's gorgeous. Today's take away: I think the only thing more terrifying than driving UP that road in the winter is going DOWN that road in the winter. It was white knuckle in the height of summer: I can't imagine........

Tomorrow, I am hoping for goats.

What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.
--T. S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

[Image: sittingcat_zpsn1blmxfj.png]

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
07-17-2016 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

ALPS!

And--Le Tour de Switzerland.

Another touch of anarchy that I do love about Le Tour de France is the section that does not take place in France.........WHY?!? Who knows? Who cares????

No goats today.....However: water buffalo. One commentator explained the difference, quite clearly and completely, but then another persisted in calling them Cape buffalo.....which really could have made Le Tour quite exciting, as there were no fences around the water buffalo's pasture. Whatever! Water buffalo!!!!!! Big Grin

Forgot to mention yesterday: a flotilla of kayaks in a lake, forming the outline of France. An ACCURATE outline. Using kayaks. Which was only really identifiable from the air, but it was cool.

Day before yesterday, amid the half- and nearly-dressed men: the guy in the penguin onesie. I don't know; I have no idea. Better than the thong unitard, by a long shot.

Today: Swiss fans far more subdued and sedate. Perhaps they were wondering why Le Tour de France ended up in their country. Tongue

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (King James Version, Matthew 25: 37-40)
07-18-2016 09:23 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Once again: France. Albeit, sans landscapes, as it's time for the French Open. At least I moderately understand this sporting event, and the commentators generally make sense.

Landscapes. Well, maybe not entirely without--the view this morning was lovely, as Dustin Brown played. Sadly, he lost (whoops!--erm: SPOILERS!), which means no more gazing upon Dustin Brown in Paris.....Seriously: is Dustin Brown human? His beauty is other-worldly; I'm not sure this level of gorgeous is possible.

To make things better (well, BETTER would be if he won and kept playing....), the match was against Gael Monfils. Also easy on the eyes, although no one can quite compete with the Elvish Dustin Brown in that category. Anyway--I digress. Because Dustin Brown is gorgeous.

Ahem.

And so. The upside to today's match: both Monfils and Brown play Crazy Tennis which is amazing. Neither has any use for fuddy-duddy How You Should Play This ideas; in fact, I'm not entirely sure that Monfils is human, either, because human bodies don't generally move that way. Without resulting in snapping sounds. So, these two guys, playing Crazy Tennis and looking very lovely, but the downside was.....who in Power at the French Open pitted them against each other so early in the tournament??? Couldn't we get to gaze upon Dustin Brown for a few more days? Please? I guess it all may have been worth it for Crazy Tennis--Highlight Reel Edition. Maybe. Dustin Brown is so beautiful--have I mentioned that? (Okay--yes: I am THAT shallow!) Big Grin

As a side note, I'm kind of hoping the gods and fate align and, some day, subject Nick (I'm a Jerk) Kyrgios to Gael (No F***s Given) Monfils: Kyrgios needs that mind-blowing lesson so badly....

So. French Open. Without Federer, I'm a bit at sea about the men's section.....Rafa, #10? The ever-dour loony Andy Murray? I have to go with Gael NFG Monfils, hoping against hope....PLEASE!!!! Women? No Serena Williams. Sad For now, Venus by default, I suppose. I haven't quite decided, as I am still trying to cope with the lack of the Dustin Brown visuals on my TV screen.

Really--winner of the genetics lottery. Holy crow.

05-30-2017 09:07 PM
Titania Offline

I have just signed up for a 100k race on the 5th of August! I will do it to raise funds for a church organ in the City of London! It has been awfully hot here and it has been difficult to go out for a run.
05-31-2017 09:43 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Holy Cow! Good luck with that--I do my walks in the early morning, as any time after 10 am is just TOO HOT.

Alas--today I did not get my wishes.....No shot at a Monfils/Kyrgios go around. Madison Keys just lost--so I will just pull harder for the old lady, Venus Williams. Andy Murray has made it through, while being cranky Andy Murray. But it's difficult not to cheer for him, as he has, in the past, supported equal pay for female tennis players; now, after the odious Margaret Court has spewed anti-gay venom, he's stated support for same-sex relationships. I can't help but enjoy how Murray is a cranky loon on the court; as soon as the game ends, he's a great guy....albeit often hilariously dour, sarcastic, and dry.

But now....he plays Juan Martin del Potro. Seriously? I'd say I'd be happy, no matter who won, but that's not actually true--how disappointing when one or the other has to lose. Today, del Potro just showed again that he plays with total class, as he comforted Almargo, who retired injured from the match: not just sportsmanship, but flat-out human compassion, and a demonstrated concept of what's really important, as opposed to just some random tennis game.

Someone at the Tennis Channel must have psychically picked up vibes: viewers keep getting treated to randomly placed, unexpected camera pans of gorgeous Paris locales...."Here's someone playing someone else on Court #532--and, oh, look at Notre Dame! The Seine! The Eiffel Tower! A street with ridiculously enticing outdoor cafes that are at least 250 years old! I think somebody won a game!"

06-01-2017 08:37 PM
Titania Offline

Thanks! The weather has been very changeable here, hot and muggy followed by thunderstorms. But I have managed to go out for some long runs, I have to!
06-04-2017 05:25 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

I find (and, disclaimer: NOT A RUNNER!) that the only thing to do is get out there and get used to the conditions. If I don't go walking in the abysmal heat and humidity, then the abysmal heat and humidity is too much.........

Tennis Overload today......The women's section is so chaotic that I don't know for whom I should cheer, now that (SPOILERS) Venus is out. I'm going with: Make France Happy.

Kind of the same attitude in the men's section. Come on, Gael (No F***s Given) Monfils! But....Andy Murray is so......Liberal. I cannot warm to Djokovic, no matter what. Nadal, Murray, Monfils: any of them, please!

In the meantime, Paris is lovely. Even in the rain. I don't care. Just show me Paris. It's kind of like looking at Dustin Brown--so pretty that I really haven't heard a word of what you else may have said.

06-04-2017 10:54 PM
Olwen Online
Super Moderator

(05-31-2017 09:43 PM)Titania Wrote:  I have just signed up for a 100k race on the 5th of August! I will do it to raise funds for a church organ in the City of London! It has been awfully hot here and it has been difficult to go out for a run.

Good heavens, Titania! You are an Ironwoman! Best of luck in the race!

"All of time and space... where do you want to go?" - The Doctor [Image: tardis.gif]

"I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know, it was the best: a daft old man, who stole a magic box and ran away." -The Eleventh Doctor
06-04-2017 11:32 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Totally disregarded Thiem, much to my dismay and embarrassment. He plays some pretty amazing tennis--lots of talent there.....I hope he turns out to be a decent human, as well as a superior tennis player (unlike *cough* a certain Aussie player......with the initials NK). Nadal should be a tough one to beat, and it's hard not to wish him well in pursuit of #10, but Thiem isn't exactly shabby, to say the least. And then, of course, there is Andy Murray, whom I can't help but cheer, too. The only one of the men's group that I can't deal with is Wawrinka--can't separate his personal story from the court: yep, I'm that biased. (disclaimer: I don't see athletes as role models, but, on the other hand, I tend not to be able to appreciate athletic performance if the athlete is a bit too blatantly a pretty ghastly person--professional athletes are, in general, not much of an admirable bunch, but.....please......try not to be too blatant.)

Anyway. And Halep! Playing like a beast! And not a whiner! I guess her coach's "Come to Jesus" confrontation with her actually had an effect. Crikey, but she's being pretty amazing.....I'm totally cheering for her, now. Tongue

06-07-2017 11:03 PM
Titania Offline

Thanks, folks! So far training is going well. A week ago I went out for a long training run along the river Thames after work and a thunderstorm came down... I had the whole riverbank to myself apart from the bridges where people huddled to get out of the rain. At least it was refreshing and my new shoes weren't white anymore. You don't want running shoes to stay white, it's the whimps, the "good weather" runners who have white shoes!

And this morning I went to a 10k race. It was quite hot and the course wasn't easy. I have done this race many tiomes before, but generally in winter! And there are always a lot of people in winter. Today the field was quite small and even though I did not run a great time I ended up winning a bottle of wine!

Something to cheer me up on my way to the big race!

And yes, you have to get used to the conditions! One of my colleagues did the Marathon de Sable (too extreme for me!) and he built himself a heat chamber in his garden shed to get used to running in 50 degrees! Thanks, but no thanks!
06-11-2017 07:29 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

I would definitely need a bottle of wine! Or, to be more accurate and honest: a case.

Took a walk today in the 3,428% humidity and praised whoever invented the shower when I got home. Big Grin

French Open over.....Interesting. Hmmmmm. Ostapenko looks really interesting for the future; Darren Cahill may need to have another Come To Jesus with Halep. Andy Murray went off the rails, and Nadal was invincible....I did laugh at Federer's comment that there was no way he'd have done anything but lose against this Nadal. Tongue

Random grass tournaments in session, with Federer on deck tomorrow--hooray! The Tennis Channel did not show Dustin Brown today, which is just.....an issue. The commentators said something about courts "not shown on TV," which is simply an odd concept in the 21st century. In the head-scratcher excuse of the current century, it seems that, in some tennis games, there are courts that "can't" be broadcast...................................

Um. Yeah. 'Cause anyone in the stands could hold up an iPhone and show the whole thing on youtube, so professional TV channels can't figure out a way to broadcast from some East Jesus, Wherever, tennis court?

Rrrrriiiiiiggggghhhhhhtttt.

And then there's the whole thing about the Tennis Channel's not being permitted to show the WTA matches. I'm sure, WTA, that is a GREAT decision in support of women's tennis! YES!!! Let's not let any normal human watch them wimmens play tennis!!! That will absolutely expand the sport!

For God's sake.

06-13-2017 11:14 PM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

SQUEEEEE

The lovely Dustin Brown won (oh--um: spoilers!), so there can be more viewing of him for a while. YES! I shall mourn the loss of Monfils, but Brown gave us a fine bout of Crazy Tennis....Query: how does one manage to hit a tennis ball while making a dive that would normally score a run in any average MLB game?

In other news, "lucky loser" plays Federer (someone has a sick sense of ironic humor); Federer says, "No." kthnxby

What happened to Andy Murray? Hello?

Also....racing from "Royal" Ascot. I have no idea why a US sports channel suddenly decided to show this, but--it's horse racing!!!! Not that I've seen it yet (sorry: Dustin Brown was playing, + Federer), but--God bless the concept of DVR.

I did see the parade of carriages, which was kind of cool. The horses drawing the various carriages were gorgeous--poetry in motion, applied to them, is not a cliche. People were in the carriages--some of the "fascinators" worn by the assorted royal females did resemble antennae, and I hope they were receiving good reception.

Formal wear, though, at the racetrack? Why? I'm fine with anyone's wanting to dress up and look fine for any occasion (appropriate or not....), but.....top hats? For horse races? Ahhahahahahahhahahaha....Whoops. Sorry.

Not really.

Top hats. At the track. Ahahhhhaaaahhhhhaa! Whoops.....

Like you showed up in your Sexy Pirate Costume at that First Communion party.

Hey--if it makes you happy, and you are socially strong enough for it--go for it! But, sadly, "Royal" Ascot apparently has a dress code, because...."royal" people show up. Seriously?

Aaaahhhhhaaaahhha!

Yeah.

No.

It's like the Wimbledon deal, wherein the players are supposed to do things to acknowledge the "royal" people parked in the "royal" box. Pardon me while I have a stroke over the idea of "royal."

Personally, I'd pay any random tennis player to A. ignore the "royal" people or B. wave "HI!" to them as if they were.....humans watching a tennis match.

Alan Rickman to Kate Winslet at the "royal" showing of Sense and Sensibility: "If you curtsey, I'll kill you."

Big Grin

06-21-2017 02:35 AM
subtle science Offline
Minister of Literature

Still watching tennis and horses..... Big Grin It must be summer.

Royal Ascot has me bemused. The horses are magnificent: the quality of the animals is dazzling to a horse person--the horses are incredible in their perfect confirmation and impeccable presentation. However.....the broadcast focuses primarily on the people. Not the horsemen/women: the clothes worn by anybody. It's kind of.....odd. Although, of course, there's the silly dress code at the race meet, so I suppose this is a big deal, because you have to have a boatload of money to spend on formal wear so you can watch the races. But I've never watched a show that is, supposedly, coverage of horse races that spends so little time on the actual horses. The primary emphasis is on who is wearing what designer's outfit.

Okay, then.

The broadcasters themselves, unless they are analyzing somebody's fascinator, are largely incomprehensible. They don't actually show all of the horses in a race. Well, yes, there are upwards of 20-25 horses, but, if we didn't watch a segment on So-And-So's trip to the top hat shop, we could, actually, find out which horses were entered in the upcoming race. One guy, whenever the coverage turns to the trio that's supposed to tell us about the entrants, invariably is already talking--well, to be honest....mumbling--before he's live, so that's really weird. He's kind of like those harmless odd ducks you have to dodge at the track--not because they cause any trouble, but because they wander about, head buried in the Racing Form and murmuring about last race statistics for the favorite or his long shot. This guy just does it on air. And no one knows what the hell he's talking about.

Then there's a shouty guy who yells about the betting boards and says nothing comprehensible, but loudly. Turn down the sound and just look at the boards: oh, I get it now. Not what he was yelling about (hey--breaking news: you have a microphone!), but what the odds are.

Something I have yet to decipher, despite my racing experience: the horse's number versus the stall (ie, post) number. Wow. A tip of my fascinator to the most random gate loading of horses I have ever seen.

Anyway--I am so grateful for my DVR, which means I can record Royal Ascot and watch tennis, and then I can fast forward past the three hours of fashion coverage at the horse races.

PS--The Queen wore a European Union hat to the opening of Parliament today. Intentional? Whelp--she didn't wear the same color outfit to the races today..... Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2017 01:40 AM by subtle science.)
06-23-2017 12:37 AM